Friday, May 16, 2008

Functionality




Thats a big word for today. So, my camera was on the fritz Tuesday, and I am happy to say thank God that it broke Tuesday night and not today. I am sitting here just about to leave for wedding #1 for this weekend, and although I have a second camera, theres no way I would survive the 2 weddings I have this weekend on one camera, therefore, I bit the bullet Tuesday night after George broke and ordered a new body. Which thankfully arrived safely yesterday. George is now in the shop, and will hopefully be repaired in the next couple of weeks.

So I've been saving for a new lens, everytime I see someone with it I drool. The very hard to find 70-200mm 2.8 VR. Now that I've had to buy a new body, theres no way I can afford this bad boy, BUT thanks to the wonderful Paul at http://www.lensprotogo.com/, I have it for this weekend. He was so super nice, called me personally to make sure I had it in time. It just arrived about an hour ago, and after playing with it for 10 minutes, my back is already killing me. We shall see how it goes. I took some test shots with it and it is of course outstanding, the autofocus is super fast, and my handheld shots even at 1/10 were pretty darn sharp.
Staying with the theme of functionality, I had my hair chopped off by Adam http://www.byuti73.com/ yesterday. I decided with all these weddings coming up, and being so swamped....anyone that has seen me lately has probably noticed I havent had much time to...exactly make myself look pretty,lol...so off the hair went. For now :D

5 Comments:

Blogger Team Design-Bytes said...

I'm looking at that lens now too! I had a Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 awhile back but was using it on a D50 and I honestly think it was too much lens for the camera. I just couldn't work with it as far as getting good focus (had the lens and camera both serviced because of this!) but it didn't seem to help me. So, I sold it. Now, months later, and a few camera models better (D200) I'm looking at the 70-200mm 2.8 VR. I might have to settle for the Tammy version, but I don't think it will be much of a sacrifice from all the research I've been doing. Let me know how you like the lens for the wedding, I know it's a beast, but it'll grow on you!
-Kaz

1:48 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

ooohhh I almost thought for a second you bought it. ;) I must see pictures! ;)

Love the hair!

9:51 PM  
Blogger SharonElaine Photography said...

Ok, so here's my honest opinion after shooting 2 weddings with it...It's a beast, no doubt. It's so heavy, I can't even believe how heavy it is, BUT it was fantastic for the ceremony shots because I felt like I could get great closeups and not be so noticed, and they were not even blurry.Plus the AF with pretty fast too. I still had to crank up the ISO a bit, but still impressive for 200mm focal length, and slow SS. I didn't use it for much else other than the ceremony shots, and if I owned it, it would probably be the same...unless I started shooting sports. Now you on the other hand, with all the birds and nature shots you do...you would dig it. But for me, close to $2000, and not using it a lot? Im still gonna have to mull it over. I have it the rest of this week, so I'm going to continue to play with it, and try to shoot some other stuff with it. :D

8:20 AM  
Blogger PicturesByTracy said...

Your hair looks so cute! I shoot with my 70-200 75% of the time, your right it's a heavy beast! Glad you got your new camera in time:)

9:22 AM  
Blogger pamela sue said...

Sharon! I love your haircut. It is just so darn cute. And, I hear you about the weight of "the beast." However, honestly, after using it for so long, I don't even notice the weight anymore. I am like Sharon, I use it a lot. You can get some nice bokeh when you go outside. Also, it is great to capture some close-up candids if the lighting is good.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home