Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twice Exceptional


I hate labels. Unfortunately though, when you have a kid like Jake, you hear them often. Of all the labels I've heard, adhd, aspergers, bipolar, etc, the most recent one that stuck out was Twice Exceptional. I like it because it doesnt quite have the negative undertones as the others, and well quite frankly, to me he is exceptional. So he turned 9 last month when I blinked. He shared his birthday with the world as they ate their Thanksgiving Turkey.


I think God eased me into Motherhood with Adam. He's always been my "cake" kid. Dont get me wrong, he has his moments, but for the most part, he's always been easy going. He didnt cry much as a baby, he went to school easily, etc etc. Jacob has to learn and do everything the hard way. You know how when you were a kid and you were being exceptionally bad and your mother would say, I hope you have one just like you only 100 times worse. Well, this curse works my friends. Jacob is me 100 times over, only sometimes to a much more frustrating degree. And alot of days I feel like Im arguing with myself, or talking to a doorknob,LOL. But God Bless him, I love him, too much sometimes. As he gets older and things are getting harder, much harder in some ways, I want to surround him with a bubble, and protect him from the world. On the outside he has the hard outer shell that he tries to play cool, or act silly to cover up, but underneath, I can see his own pain and frustration and I want to make it go away.

So if any mother could have used a manual, it is me. If you have one handy, pass it down :P

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Twice exceptional, what a lovely term. I may use that one in the future for my kiddo.

9:20 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I'm happy to see that he's still alive to see his next birthday. ha!

8:33 PM  
Blogger SharonElaine Photography said...

We shall see...he's only been 9 for a month,LOL

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home