Sunday, July 06, 2008

Poncho Sanchez



is completely amazing. I joke around all the time that I was Latina in a former life...although it couldn't be further from the truth. I haven't tanned since 1996, I am the whitest thing around. But there is something about that Latin beat, I hear it and I CANNOT sit still.

On our endless quest to do something other than dinner and a movie for date night, John and I hit the Cityfolk festival last night. One of his more endearing qualities is that he is completely obsessed with drumming or anything drumming related. Forever finger drumming everywhere we go, on my leg in the car, on the tables, the man hears life as a drumbeat. I picked up a flyer on the festival earlier this week and as soon as I saw the words Latin Jazz and Poncho Sanchez, I knew we were on our way there. As soon as the music started, I got a little antsy. He is perfectly happy you see, as long as he can see the percussionists, just sitting there all night listening. But me...hmm..well, let's just say I didnt take salsa lessons for nothing Every so often, I would glance over and give him my "please?" face. After about the 6th heavy sigh, he relented and we lost ourselves in the sea of people that were already dancing under the stage. He has had lessons also ,with me, but he is a little more relunctant to share with the world his latin "flava". Although, unlike me, he sports a tan 365 days of the year, has rythym, and could actually pass for latino ;)

I had a blast dancing. It's been awhile. I even dressed up for the occasion. I don't wear dresses often. I am a total tomboy, although I loved to get dressed up. Its just that when you make your living lying in the middle of the street to get "that shot", you know the one...a dress is just not a good idea. I even remembered to wear my stretchy sucker-inner thingy...it holds in all the rolls in the right places...however, I forgot to wear the most important, spandex shorts...this is the key girls...see when you are a portly girl like myself these days, it is generally a good idea to wear something on those thighs, cause when you get to dancin, stuck in the middle of 100s of people, and its 80-some degrees outside...well, lets just say friction is not a good thing...TMI sorry, but dude you need to be warned,lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home